Saturday, October 10, 2009

9-11-09

Observations from: Holiday Park, Benbrook Lake, Texas:
I saw (along with the ubiquitous Great Blue and Great Egrets) a Little Blue Heron (an adult and later, a whitish juvenile), a juvenile Tricolored Heron (color scheme matched my Peterson Guide like it was painted from it), a group of peeps (more follows), a Spotted Sandpiper (took me a while, but an ID I'm proud of), several Killdeer, and a Black Vulture. All these count as Life birds since I'm starting a formal list from only what I've seen this year. It was my first time ever actually watching/noticing sandpipers or shorebirds (other than Plovers) of any kind. . I think the peeps may have been Pectorals (or possibly Westerns); I didn't note the color of the legs, which would have really helped id them, according to the Petersons. Well I'm still learning. Based on bill size/shape and scaled look on some I think (won't be counting these) they were juvenile and adult Pectorals, mostly, with maybe some Westerns mixed in. I enjoyed the challenge anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment