Saturday, October 10, 2009

9-30-09

Observations from: Holiday Park, Benbrook Lake, Texas:
Site 51. Today I got the Belted Kingfisher positive id- he was a male- blue-grey and white. Had good, long looks as he first perched for awhile on a dead tree out in the water near me (~75 feet away). Then he flew to another dead tree further out, and fished. I expected a dive like a gannet, but he fluttered weakly to the surface, and caught a small fish. He flew along the surface after that, slowly and weakly, and landed multiple times, apparently unsuccessfully looking for fish. On the way in I saw a Whitetail doe and fawn run across the road in front of my truck, and jump a fence. I've never seen a fawn before- this one was getting big, but still had his spots. Also saw many: Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Black & Turkey Vultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment