Saturday, October 10, 2009

9-15-09

Observations from: Holiday Park, Benbrook Lake, Texas:
Time to update my bird sighting from the last few days, maybe (9-12 to 9-14)? Due to the hard rains and rising lake, didn't see much. It was hard to get good looks with my 7 x 35 binoculars (Nikon Actions, if you care..and if you’re reading this other crap, why wouldn't you care?). It was definitely weather that would have made having a) a spotting scope, b) 10 power binoculars, or c) high-grade optics, with better light transmission and clarity worth having. But I have to say, I bought these binoculars several years ago after long, careful research on what the best low-end binoculars were, and for the price (around $80), they have been awesome. I heartily recommend them to anyone on a tight budget. But with the poor/low light and stormy weather, it was hard to see details. Examples: I saw a bird on top of a very tall tree yesterday. It sat there. I got as close as I could, but I still couldn't get a good view of it. It seemed to have a white or pale lower back. The only thing I could think of that it could be was a Bobolink, but I've never seen one, so I'm not sure. Also, I saw a very active small bird, probably a warbler of some kind, flittering rapidly around the branches about 20 feet high near me. I was able to study it for awhile, but it was in the shade and it was already cloudy, so I'm not sure. I never got good looks at its head. IT was yellowish, especially on the chest and underparts, and streaky on top. Very small; didn't see any hook to the bill-tip like a vireo might have. Shaped like a warbler. Could have been a female or immature Yellow Warbler, but not sure. Both birds would have been seen better with 10 power or better optical quality, or both. The same with one small egret I saw a couple times over the weekend, which seemed to have a dark bill. Could have been Snowy Egret, which I've never seen, but couldn't make out leg color for sure. Same with some peeps (small sandpipers) that deserved closer looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment